When do I need flood insurance in Florida?

Living in the St. Augustine, FL area is a dream for many people. With access to the ocean and beaches, it can be a great place to live. While there are plenty of great advantages that come with living in this area of Florida, there are risks as well. For property owners, finding a way to mitigate the risk of flood damage is very important. One way to do this is by getting flood insurance. There are several situations when you will need to have flood insurance in Florida. 

When Required by Lender

One of the most common reasons why someone will get a flood insurance policy in Florida is because it will be required by their mortgage lender. If you purchase a home in Florida and it is located in a high-risk flood zone, your lender will want to make sure you have the appropriate insurance in place to protect their collateral. 

When Concerned About Flood Risk

Even if you do not have a requirement by a lender to get flood insurance, you should still get coverage if you are concerned about the risk of flooding in your area. A flood insurance policy can provide you with ample coverage to restore your property if it is damaged. This could prove to be a very valuable investment. 

Ultimately, choosing a new flood insurance policy for your St. Augustine, FL home is very important. When you are looking for a new policy, you should reach out to the team at Tim Huber Insurance. The insurance professionals at Tim Huber Insurance can help you to better understand all of your obligations when it comes to insuring your home. They can then help you to choose a flood insurance policy that offers the best coverage possible.

Why should I invest in a Florida commercial insurance policy?

Those that live in the state of Florida and want to start a small business will find that this state offers an incredible amount of opportunities. If you are going to start a company here, you could do quite well as long as you take the proper precautions to protect your company. One of the best ways that you can do this is by getting a commercial insurance policy. There are several reasons why a St. Augustine, FL business owner should invest in this insurance coverage.

Ensures Proper Liability Coverage

One of the advantages that come with investing in a commercial insurance policy is that it will ensure you receive proper liability insurance coverage. A business owner of any kind is going to take on liability risk very frequently. To ensure that you and your company are properly covered, you should get a commercial insurance policy as it will include liability insurance protection.

Gives Coverage for Assets

A commercial insurance policy will also give you coverage to protect your assets. Business owners will need to invest a lot in company assets to get the company off the ground. When you get insurance for your business, you will receive coverage for these assets. 

When you are going to get a St. Augustine, FL commercial insurance policy, it is important to fully understand your needs and options. Due to the complexities that come with picking a policy, you should reach out to the team at Tim Huber Insurance. When you speak with Tim Huber Insurance to discuss your insurance needs and options, you will learn a lot more about how you can protect your company. This will ensure you are able to choose a policy that protects your company as well as possible. 

What Kind of Coverage Do You Need for Your Classic Car?

Driving a classic car even for short distances in St. Augustine, FL without insurance is illegal and risky. You may be thinking it’s okay to put your classic car on your regular auto insurance policy but that’s also not a good idea. The best thing you can do to get the right coverage is to get a specific classic car insurance policy from Tim Huber Insurance.

You need special coverage to protect your classic car and an ordinary policy won’t provide that for you. A well-maintained classic car will often appreciate in value, while a standard insurance policy assumes that a car will depreciate over time.

Your classic car insurance policy should include liability, collision, and comprehensive coverage. Liability insurance will be required if you want to drive on state roads. With comprehensive and collision, you are covered in the event of an accident and your insurance will pay for your valuable car. The insurer will work with you in St. Augustine, FL and discuss an agreed value based on the appraised market value or auction prices for cars similar to yours. There are other add-ons to your policy that you may want to consider depending on how you use your classic car. If you visit a lot of auto shows, you may want to get insurance for this that will cover your vehicle, whether or not you are actually present with your vehicle. You can also get insurance to cover towing should your classic car break down away from home.

Even though you will be getting higher coverage, your classic car insurance isn’t likely to cost you more than regular insurance. The policies do have some restrictions. You may be limited on how much you can drive your classic car and you will have to make sure it’s stored in a secured garage.

Contact Tim Huber Insurance to get a quote on classic car insurance.

Motorhomes vs. Campers, What’s The Difference?

As beautiful as St. Augustine, FL may be, sometimes you just want to head out for a trip in the wild. If you’re considering buying something for those long camping trips, you may be wondering what the difference is between a motorhome and a camper.

What it really comes down to, as far as the law is concerned, and as far as an insurer like Tim Huber insurance is concerned, is the engine.

If you pull it, it’s a trailer, and you don’t need to insure it unless you want to.

If it has a motor in it, it’s a motorhome. It’s really as simple as that.

Which One Is Right For You?

If you’re just looking for something you won’t have to insure, there you go. But of course, there’s a lot more that goes into the decision than that. One major point to consider here is the size of the camper.

A camper is going to be somewhat restricted in terms of size. It needs to be small enough that you can pull it with a standard-sized vehicle, which means that it’s not going to be as roomy as some of the larger RVs available. This might not be a big deal if you travel light, but if you’re hoping for a full bathroom-and-kitchen setup, you might be somewhat limited. You’ll also want to consider that motorhomes are built to pull all that extra weight, your car might not be.

If you’ve selected a vehicle to spend your summers away from St. Augustine, FL in, Tim Huber Insurance can get you set up with a policy to protect your motorhome and everything in it. Give them a call and see what they have for you.

Commercial Insurance for Home-Based Businesses

Many aspiring entrepreneurs make a wise decision to run a business from their home, or in their garage, to keep their business overhead costs low when they first get started. Right after making such a very good decision to save money by not renting office space, the majority of them then make a huge mistake.

Over 60 % of home-based business owners do not have commercial insurance. Why is this a huge mistake? They rely on their homeowner’s insurance policy and this extremely dangerous. Homeowner’s policies do not cover any commercial operations at all. If you check your home insurance policy, you will likely find a specific exclusion that says it does not cover any commercial activities.

Imagine this nightmare scenario. The equipment that you use for a home-based business has a short circuit. The electrical short starts a fire. Your house burns to the ground. Since this was caused by equipment used for your business, you may lose everything!

Be one of the smart ones who start a home-based business with proper commercial insurance for it. Consult with your agent at Tim Huber Insurance, serving the St. Augustine, FL area, to get a comprehensive commercial insurance review and a quote. You may be surprised how reasonable it is to protect yourself and your business. It is certainly unwise not to protect yourself with adequate insurance.

The basics of commercial insurance include worker’s compensation if you have any employees, commercial liability insurance, and property/casualty insurance. You will also need commercial vehicle insurance if you use any vehicles in your business.

Call your agent at Tim Huber Insurance in St. Augustine, FL to discuss the types of commercial insurance that are appropriate for your new home-based business. Then you can sleep well at night knowing your business and your home are both protected properly.

Does your vehicle qualify for classic car insurance?

Most people understand that as soon as you drive a new vehicle off the dealership’s lot, it begins to depreciate in value but classic cars actually appreciate in value over time which means your insurance coverage will be different.

People who embark on becoming classic or antique vehicle owners understand they will not be driving these vehicles on a daily basis. You will need a specialized insurance policy for your classic car and here is a roundup of the information you need to know while seeking an insurance policy.

Check Eligibility

To qualify as a classic car, your vehicle must meet some criteria, including the fact that it must be between 10 and 24 years-old. It must also have a historical interest, such as it is a sports car, hot rod, or muscle car.

To qualify as an antique vehicle, it must be 25 years old or older with the same type of historical interest as classic cars must possess.

Limit the Use

Your vehicle must be used only on a very limited basis, such as driving or hauling it to a classic car show.

Restore and Preserve

Your vehicle must be restored and preserved to its original condition or in the process of undergoing the restoration process. Some insurance agents may reject your vehicle for coverage if it is not in top-notch condition and being maintained properly.

Proper Storage

Your insurance policy will probably require that your classic or antique car be stored properly inside an enclosed building.

Understand Your Policy

Understanding your policy is imperative to ensure your investment in a classic or antique car is protected. Your policy will cover liability, collision, comprehension, and medical payments. You can always request increased coverage options if you so choose.

Call Your Agent

The insurance agents at Tim Huber Insurance in St. Augustine, FL are ready to assist you in obtaining the proper coverage for your classic car and can answer any questions you may have. Call today for more information.

Do Tourist Attractions Need Umbrella Insurance?

Anyone who owns a business knows to have liability insurance is crucial, however, there can be instances where liability insurance alone isn’t enough to cover a scenario where there are injuries or accidents causing substantial damages to occur. In these cases, having umbrella insurance can offer great protection. 

Owning a Tourist Attraction has Risks

Anywhere there is a tourist attraction, there are people coming to visit. This creates a potentially hazardous situation for the owners of the site, which is why purchasing a comprehensive liability and umbrella policy will create a blanket of protection to help with any potential legal expenses. If there are a large number of visitors to any site or business, umbrella insurance is a must. If this type of coverage isn’t in place, consult with a professional insurance agent to begin finding policy options to fit current and future needs. 

Get Help Finding Insurance

Although it is possible to get coverage without assistance, it isn’t recommended because there are many things to understand about a policy that the average person won’t understand. That can lead to situations where the policyholder can run into trouble. To avoid these types of situations, work with an agent who can explain the fine print and basic terms and conditions so there is a clear picture of the coverage that will be in place. Those who live in the St. Augustine, FL area, can count on the agents at Tim Huber Insurance to guide them through this process. 

Get the coverage necessary to have peace of mind if you own a tourist attraction. Call or stop by the office of Tim Huber Insurance, serving the residents of St. Augustine, FL, today to get more information about coverage options. 

What Should I Do After A Flood?

Flooding is unfortunately a hazard familiar with St. Augustine, FL residents. After the waters recede, it’s difficult to know how to recover. We at Tim Huber Insurance want to make sure our readers get the best start to their flood recovery efforts with these tips provided by the American Red Cross. 

Stay Informed

If you live in an evacuated area, do not return until you’re told it’s safe. Local news and weather radio stations will often carry updates about when evacuated areas are safe to enter. Take time to let loved ones know you are safe. Inform your insurance company as early as possible to begin the claims process.

Return Safely

Inspect the outside of your home and property for any unsound structures. When in doubt, don’t risk entering. If you notice downed power lines avoid stepping in any water and report them to your power company. Don’t use any electric or gas appliances until they’re inspected.

Clean Up Smartly

Be cautious about where you put your feet and hands; dangerous insects and animals will often hide out inside after a flood. Wearing rubber gloves and boots can help prevent accidental injuries from broken glass and furniture. You should throw away any food that has come in contact with floodwater and don’t drink from the tap. As you clean, take pictures and document any damage for your insurance claim.

Take Care of Yourself

It’s too easy to ignore your emotional well-being when faced with a crisis. Make sure you and your loved ones take breaks to decompress. Reach out to disaster recovery services to assist yourself and others, especially those who have disabilities or lack transportation. 

Floods are always stressful, but flood insurance can provide a little more peace of mind. If you live in the St. Augustine, FL area, let Tim Huber Insurance make sure you’re prepared.

Do I Need Insurance for My Condo? If so, Why?

Although a condo isn’t a stand-alone residence, you’re still required to carry condo insurance if you don’t own your condo unit outright. Generally, a mortgage company will require you to carry insurance as a way of protecting their financial investment in your condo in the event that something happens to your unit. However, if you own your condo, you may not be required to carry condo insurance. However, it’s a good idea to know the difference between homeowners’ insurance and condo insurance.

Condo Insurance 

Condo insurance only covers the actual unit and not the exterior halls or structure. Some policies may also cover installed structures like granite countertops and wood floors. You’ll need to purchase insurance on both the contents of your condo and the structure itself. Condo insurance will also cover three main areas: medical payments, loss of use, and personal liability. The exterior areas or common areas of the condo or usually covered by the condo owners association. These areas are usually maintained through monthly fees that owners pay to the Condominium Association. However, each condo association will have different rules and as a result, cover different things. A Tim Huber Insurance representative can answer many questions for St. Augustine, FL residents regarding condo insurance and condo owner’s associations. 

Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners insurance covers the house as well as any other personal property. This includes sheds, garages, and any other property attached to the home. In addition, homeowners’ insurance also covers property that can’t be used or lived in as a result of some circumstance or event as well as medical payments. It also covers personal liability.
The Similarities…

Although a condo differs from a conventional residential home, you are still legally required to carry condo insurance if you don’t own it. Condo insurance covers the interior components of your unit only, whereas homeowner’s insurance covers the external areas of a conventional home as well. 

Choosing Your Life Insurance Beneficiary

Choosing Your Life Insurance Beneficiary

Choosing a life insurance policy can be complicated enough, and choosing a beneficiary can be even harder. At Tim Huber Insurance, serving St. Augustine, FL, we’re here to help you understand your life insurance policy, and how it can help those you care about after you’re gone. Check out these tips for choosing your beneficiary:

– Think about the purpose of your insurance policy. If your goal is to provide for your family, your spouse or an adult child may be the best option. If your goal is to give to charity, a trusted member of the charity’s board of trustees may be a good choice. 

– Update your beneficiary regularly. As your life and circumstances change, you may also change who you’d like your estate to go to in the event of your passing. For example, if you’re married and name your spouse your beneficiary, but they pass away, you need to name a new beneficiary. 

– Understand your options when it comes to choosing a beneficiary. You are able to name more than one person. 

– Name a secondary beneficiary. In the event that your primary beneficiary passes away or refuses to accept the money, it will be up to a court to decide where your money goes. Having a secondary beneficiary takes care of this problem. 

Call Tim Huber Insurance, Serving St. Augustine, FL

If you’re ready to start protecting your assets and your loved ones with a life insurance policy, we’re here to help. Call Tim Huber Insurance, serving St. Augustine, FL, or stop into one of our offices to chat with an agent about how we can help with your life insurance needs.